Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Meet our Students: Addy Sacouto

Q: Where are you from?
A: I'm from Philadelphia, PA.

Q: What is your major?
A: I'm dual-majoring in Creative Writing and Russian.

Q: Do you have a minor?
A: I'm minoring in linguistics.

Q: What year are you?
A: I'm a junior!

Q: What are some of your literary strengths?
A: I have a pretty good memory, and that helps a lot when writing papers and studying for tests.

Q: Favorite books or shows?
A: I love Jodi Picoult’s books, but Harry Potter will always have a special place in my heart.

Q: Why did you become an English Major?
A: I’ve been writing since I was eight and didn’t know what else to do, honestly.

Q: What is your favorite class you have ever taken, at Bloomsburg, or otherwise?
A: Dr. Stuart’s Intro to Creative Writing is the reason I’m an English major. She taught me that it’s okay to be creative, and she never discouraged anyone, and I just had a positive experience the entire time. I became more open to the major then and eventually declared it.

Q: What organizations are you part of?
A: I’m in Honors and BOG, so I don’t have time for fun clubs.  I am also a consultant at WALES.

Q: What subjects do you like to write about, formally and informally?
A: Mental illness is probably all I write about, though I’ll throw in the occasional romance story or poem for fun.

Q: Quick, create a title of a book you’d like to write.
A: I am the absolute worst at titles and most of my pieces don’t even have them, so... I don’t know.  How about Hidden in Plain Sight or some other cliché?

Q: Now create the title of a book about you.
A: “Look at This Gay Nerd” or more formally “From the Ashes.”

Q: What is your dream job?
A: I love proofreading and translating and I want to work on a video game localization team.

Q: Have any advice for incoming freshmen or students who are thinking about taking more English classes?
A: Don’t let people guilt you for being an English major! I know I got a lot of negative feedback from family and even friends about declaring a pointless major, but English majors can make better arguments and write better papers than most, and that’s a very valuable skill. Also embrace the creativity because that’s literally the point, and if you’re not writing for you it’s better to not write at all.

1 comment:

Congratulations Are In Order: Student Writing Contest

We are excited to share a snapshot of the judge's comments from this year's Student Writing Contest. The English Department is treme...