Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Meet our Students: Julia Miller

Q: Where are you from?
J: I’m from right here in lovely Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania!

Q: What is your major?
J: I’m a Creative Writing major.

Q: Do you have a minor?
J: Anthropology.

Q: What year are you?
J: I’m a senior!

Q: What are your literary strengths?
J: I’ve always had a thing for poetry and tend to write in that particular form the most.

Q: What are some of your favorite books or shows?
J: I have two favorite books. First up is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I read that book when I was thirteen and I often go back and re-read it when I have nothing new to read. My second favorite book is A Pleasure and a Calling by Phil Hogan. It’s a thriller about a real estate agent who makes copies of his customer’s keys and spies on their lives. It’s a read that leaves you feeling like you’re being watched -- which is the best kind of read!

Q: Why did you become an English Major?
J: While I’ve always loved reading and writing, I initially entered Bloomsburg as an Elementary Education major. After I took Dr. Stuart’s Intro to Creative Writing class as a second-semester freshman, I was inspired to switch my major to Creative Writing and I haven’t looked back since. The best part? I don’t have to take any math classes!

Q: What is your favorite class that you have ever taken? 
J: I love all the Creative Writing and Poetry Workshop classes that I’ve taken here at Bloomsburg because it’s such a valuable thing to have fellow students reading and analyzing your work. It’s also wild because you can look back on your work from previous semesters and see how much you’ve grown as a writer.

Q: What organizations are you part of?
J: I work as a consultant at WALES! It’s the most fulfilling job I’ve ever had. It’s wonderful to work with students on their papers because, at the end of each session, you can see how much more confident they are in their writing.

Q: What subjects do you like to write about, both formally and informally?
J: I like writing about ordinary, everyday people and settings and then throwing in something supernatural. I think that’s called Magic Realism? I also tend to write a lot about my bulldog, Rosco, because he is truly inspiring. 

Q: Quick, create a title of a book you’d like to write:
J: How I Ate My Way Through Italy, because that means I’d have to go back to Italy and eat a LOT of pasta!

Q: What would your dream job be?
J: Whatever archaeology Indiana Jones does!

Q: Any advice for incoming freshmen or students who are thinking about taking more English classes?
J: Definitely take a creative writing class. You might find that you actually like to write when it’s not a book report.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Congratulations Are In Order: Student Writing Contest

We are excited to share a snapshot of the judge's comments from this year's Student Writing Contest. The English Department is treme...