Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Meet Our Students: Morgan Mickavicz

Q: Where are you from?
M: I’m from a small town named Taylor, it’s near Scranton, PA. And yes, like everyone asks, it is Scranton like on The Office.

Q: What is your major?
M: I’m in the Secondary Education English track. My minors are in Creative Writing and Educational Technology.

Q: What year are you?
M: I’m a senior, but I’ll be completing my student-teaching next fall as the two minors put me a little behind - but I’m okay with staying a student a little longer before entering the real world.

Q: What are your literary strengths? 
M: I would say one of my literary strengths is connecting texts to the real world, especially modern culture and current events. I try to find these relations as a reader to form a better connection with the text, but I also think this is good practice as a future teacher because connections are what make texts engaging and meaningful to students.

Q: Favorite books or shows?
M: I have so many “favorite” books that it is hard to pick just one; I guess I would say my favorite books right now are probably Educated by Tara Westover and Girl Mans Up by M-E Girard. On Netflix I’m currently watching That 70s Show for some comic relief during the end of the semester stress, but I’m excited for a new season of Black Mirror to be released (hopefully soon!)

Q: Why did you become an English Major? 
M: I became an English major because as a kid, I always loved reading writing. As I got older, I was still an avid reader, but I was not writing as much. I had a few phenomenal high school English teachers who helped me fall in love with writing again. I also feel like I was reading in a new way after having them, more critically maybe? Or more engaged? I’m not sure totally, but I know those teachers really helped me to use my own voice more and value the voices of others in a new way. So, I want to do that for students. I also want to reach those that don’t love writing; I want them to see how important English classes are to forming communication skills.

Q: What is your favorite class you have ever taken?
M: That’s such a tough question; I’ve loved so many classes I’ve taken here. I have to name a few: Feminist Readings on Cultures with Dr. Francis, Young Adult Literature with Dr. Stuart, European Literature II with Dr. Riley, and Short Story with Dr. Lawrence. I could name so many other classes both within and outside of the English Department that I really loved taking; I’m a nerd and I adore school.

Q: What organizations are you part of?
M: I’m an Orientation Workshop Leader (OWL.) I’m also the Co-Managing Editor of BUnow.com. Bloomsburg University’s chapters of National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) and Association of Mid-Level Educators (AMLE) are two other organizations I’m in on campus, as well as Sigma Tau Delta, the English honors society.

Q: What subjects do you like to write about, formally and informally?
M: I typically write realistic fiction, and a lot of work (nonfiction and fiction) relates to the struggles associated with being a teenager, especially when it comes to dealing with insecurities.

Q: Quick, create a title of a book you’d like to write:
M: Surviving Teenage Girlhood: It Sucks Sometimes, but Girl, You’ve Got This. 

Q: Now create the title of a book about you:
M: Oh gosh…I have no idea. Maybe from Insecure High Schooler to High School Teacher? That’s lame. I need to think more about this.

Q: What's your dream job?
M: A teacher at the Lebron James Foundation’s I Promise School in Akron, Ohio. The, one day, a politician leading to the position of U.S. Secretary of Education…you’ve got to dream big.

Q: Any advice for incoming freshmen or students who are thinking about taking more English classes?
M: I would advise anyone thinking about taking more English classes to absolutely do it. English major or not, these classes help you develop a broader worldview and critical thinking skills.

Thanks for the interview, Morgan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Congratulations Are In Order: Student Writing Contest

We are excited to share a snapshot of the judge's comments from this year's Student Writing Contest. The English Department is treme...